Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 2002 08:20:54 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Alexander V Zubchenko <stalker@hermes-comp.zp.ua>
To:        "Kirk R.Wythers" <kwythers@umn.edu>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: replacing linux with freebsd in a dual boot setup with windows

Greetings!

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Kirk R.Wythers wrote:

> I use freebsd at work and have redhat at home on a dual boot system with
> windows 98. I'd like to ditch redhat in favor of freebsd. However, I'd like
> to hear from you all about what to expect. I am particularly concerned about
> what happens with the the boot loader. Right now I use LILO to pick between
> linux and windows. Will the freebsd bootloader overwrite LILO? What should I
> keep an eye on?

Almost nothing to worry about. FreeBSD sysinstall procedure will ask
You after 'fdisk stage' what to do with MBR (Leave untouched, write
standard loader or write BootEasy). First is dangerous, because LILO
may (and, imho, should) not work. Second is unsuitable, because,
afaiu, it is impossible to boot Win98 from standard freebsd
bootloader. And third is what You want (almost). It will recognize all
partitions, and display something like:

F1: Win98 (or msdos, i don't remember exactly).
F2: FreeBSD

But, it is not configurable. The only way to change it behavior is to
reinstall it from sysinstall. But this only may add additional
choices. IMHO, You can't change default boot, delay, etc.

Mayb better way is to use some alternative bootmanager.

Alexander V Zubchenko,		E-Mail: stalker@hermes-comp.zp.ua
System Administrator,		WWW: http://www.hermes-comp.zp.ua/
Hermes-comp,
Ukraine,