Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 1998 16:36:47 -0800
From:      Greg Shenaut <greg@bogslab.ucdavis.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI Tapes

In message <351C2248.751A@lombard.com>, Marcus Zafarano cleopede:
>I have read the manual on configuring scsi tapes or tapes in general,
>but my system still won't recognize my 4mm scsi tape unit.
>
>Can anyone give a step by step blow on how to configure one?

I recently went through this with my TEAC MT2-ST scsi tape drive.
To get it to work, I had to add some stuff to the driver's database
of quirks--the drive didn't support some of the commands the driver
tried to use to identify it.  If you can't get it to work any other
way, I wrote up a summary of what I had to do and posted it here--you
can find it by searching the archives for "teac mt2-st".  Although
the exact things I had to fiddle to make my drive work probably
won't work for you, it might help as a guide/starting point.  It
was necessary to go this route because the defaults for the "unknown
drive" were all wrong for me, and there doesn't seem to be any way
short of the quirks table to inform the driver about the drive.

Please try other things first, of course.

-Greg