Date:      Mon, 08 Jan 2001 09:56:55 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: KVM switch vs. FreeBSD psm driver (Solved!)

>So, question: is there a reason why we can't enable both the USB keyboard
>and a native PS/2 keyboard with syscons?  It seems that I frequently find
>myself in a position where I'd like to plug in a keyboard, or switch KVM
>choices to a machine, and discover myself with no access to the hardware
>console, and I know at least one person who uses FreeBSD in production and
>finds this to be a serious impediment (as it requires the system to be
>rebooted to regain console access, and when you have 8 machines per KVM,
>and you boot them all, switching back and forth to catch each probe is
>effectively impossible).  Presumably our syscons is intended to select on
>source of I/O and use it, but it might be worth considering a change here.

This IS already possible in RELENG_4 and -CURRENT.

Add the flags 0x100 to syscons (this is default in both RELENG_4 and
CURRENT). Then syscons will look for a keyboard if it started without
one at boot time.

I don't know if this mechanism works well with KVMs. I never
tested with KVMs, because I don't use one.

But, it works wonderfully with the USB keyboard.

As for unplugging/plugging the AT keyboard... Well, I don't recommend
that. That will likely fly your keyboard controller... But, still syscons
should be able to use the AT keyboard which is plugged after boot,
so long as atkbd is forced to install at boot time.

Kazu