Date:      Tue, 24 Jan 1995 23:14:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Changing passwords without kadmind??

I guess my usage of kerberos might be different than most, but
I do think it should work.  My only use of kerberos is to
access realms for which my machine is not a member.  I do
not have a local realm defined either.  All I want to be
able to do is "kinit gibbs@EECS.BERKELEY.EDU" and get a
usable tickett.  Unfortunately, I can no longer change passwords
on my system since passwd insists that kadmind be running, but

1) My password on my local machine and my password for the EECS
domain are different.

2) I don't have the authority to change my kerberos password
from this host.

So, is there a way to have kerberos via kinit, but not have it
interfere with local password changing other than me having to
compile a non kerberized passwd?  Can't we just issue a warning
like "Only local password will be affected"??

--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1