Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 00:30:21 +0100
From:      "Stone" <war-zone@uk2.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Quotas

Hi, I`ve been having some weird problems with quotas on my colocated server.

I used to run 3.4-STABLE and the same thing occured. Now, i`m running
4.0-STABLE (cvsup on 12th July). I wanted to enable quota support on my box
and followed what it said in the handbook.

Added options QUOTA to the kernel config, built and installed the new kernel
Added enable_quotas="YES" to /etc/rc.conf
Added check_quotas="NO" to /etc/rc.conf
Added userquota to the appropriate place in /etc/fstab for my /home
partition.

I then rebooted my server with the new kernel, and made a user called tom to
test the quotas. I used edquota -u tom and changed the hard & soft limits to
100,  then rebooted for the system to pick up the newly created quota.user
file. I then uploaded a file bigger than the specified quota and it worked
fine (ftp said quota exceeded) I then changed the user quota to a larger
size and it continued to work fine.

I added another test user and then the box seemed to come to a halt,
programs would just halt at the prompt and control C etc would not escape
them, I disconnected and tried to log back in, but (as before when i tried
to add quotas on 3.4) the connection will open to any of the ports but no
banners for any of the services display (ftp, telnet, pop3 etc) so I am
unable to login.

It is defintely related to the quotas because when my ISP reversed the
process to remove quota support, the system functioned as normal.

Is there some sort of problem with the quota support in freebsd?, any help
would be apprieciated :)

Thanks, Chris Hearn