Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 1997 23:05:39 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (Fwd) Re: Serious potential IMAP problem

As Riley J. McIntire wrote:

> Normally I just lurk on the hackers list, but at the risk of being
> flamed, thought this might generate some interest here as a possible
> enhancement to FreeBSD.

This is probably highly inflammable material. :)  I will restrict the
number of my followups.

> > In good operating systems, there is a non-root state which equates to being
> > "not logged in"; it issue an unprivileged system call to log in with
> > authentication credentials in the call.  The kernel validates the
> > authentication credentials and sets the process's user id on success.
>
> I concur with this analysis.

I think this guy is simply looking through his NT view onto the world,
nothing else.  In NT, you gotta ``log in'' first in order to do
anything.  In Unix, you run a process with your credentials, and you
don't need to be logged in (e.g. cron can run it on your behalf).

Providing a such a metauser/-state would IMHO be just _the_ target for
hacking then, since you can afterwards assume any UID, including root
-- since if this state can be used to login a user, it must be able to
obtain Superuser privileges (in order to log in the Superuser).
Presumably, after authenticating him, but if some cracker gets a
similar process that doesn't authenticate, he got root.

The ``good operating system'' with its method has already been proven
that the requirement to always log in first also has its problems...
There are rumours that when you use their telnetd, the console user
suddenly switches to the identity of the telnetting user. :-O

--
cheers, J"org