Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 2013 22:28:38 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CUPS and Epson Epson WF-3540 on FreeBSD 9.2/11.0-CURRENT

--45Z9DzgjV8m4Oswq

On Tue, Nov 05, 2013 at 08:58:01PM +0100, O. Hartmann wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Nov 2013 10:37:34 -0600
> Mark Felder <feld@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>=20
> > I don't think it's likely you'll find this working. I'd suggest you
> > find a printer that can natively speak postscript and works with SANE
> > without a proprietary driver. It's getting hard to find printers that
> > can do this, though.
>=20
> A pity.
> I think it is hard to find an ink-jet printer that "speaks" natively
> PS. Mots of them I saw have their proprietary BLOB driver managing the
> communication if they are multi-function-systems - mostly Linux.

While PostScript is probably the best choice, if the printer speaks PCL you
can probably get it to work. When in doubt, check the openprinting database
[http://www.openprinting.org/printers].

If you see a printer that is described as "host-based", avoid it like the
plague! This means they ripped all the smarts (such as it is, and what there
is of it) out of a printer and put it in the usually windows-only driver. :=
-(

Roland
--=20
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/