Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 2004 11:36:28 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Chris Landauer <cal@rushg.aero.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wraparound value for (user) time

In the last episode (Mar 23), Chris Landauer said:
> you werote:
> > Which value wrapped?  user, system, or elapsed?
>
> > The best I could come up with was that elapsed time might be stored
> > in a long variable in milliseconds, which would wrap at 49.7 days.
> > User and system times are stored as "struct timeval"s and should
> > never wrap.
>
> thanx for answering so quickly - it is the user cpu time that wraps,
> in much less than 49 days, apparently (elapsed time was 164 hrs and
> 340 hrs in the two cases that wrapped, and the cpu percentage should
> have been between 90 and 95)
>
> i did finally find struct timeval, which has a long - arithmetically,
> i convinced myself that the value had to be not an unsigned one (so
> the wrapped values were negative, but printed as positive), but i
> need to look further at the resolution issue - i will study it
> further and report the results as soon as i have something definitive
> (or at least useful) to say

Note that struct timeval has two members, tv_sec, and tv_usec.  tv_sec
will wrap in 2038, and tv_usec wraps every second :)  It might be that
there's a bug somewhere in tcsh's time calculations; see if
/usr/bin/time does any better.  Another thing to try is enabling
process accounting ("accton /var/account/acct"), and then use "lastcomm
-esu" to print the stats.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com