Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2000 13:53:30 -0400
From:      "ben @ instantemail.net" <ben@instantemail.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   (proper?) multi-homing

questions,                 Thursday, June 01, 2000

  I have a situation where I have a FreeBSD network connected to the
'net from one ISP currently but I am going to be getting another
connection -soon- and I would like any pointers to any information or
even better an example of how to make the following scenario work.

Currently I have 3 domains hosted on a 5 machine 100-baseTX,
full-duplex switched LAN like this:

<horrible ascii art>

                 'net

        aaa.bbb.25.2/27  (gw pn0 )

        [FreeBSD gateway box]
     ______________|____________________
     |                                 |
aaa.bbb.26.88/29 (gw pn1 )    aaa.bbb.26.96/29 (gw pn1 alias)
        |______________________________|

         ___________switch_____________
          |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
              The rest of the LAN

</horrible ascii art>

This works. I'm going to be getting this though and I've searched the
'net to little extent on how to make it work:

<horrible ascii art>

          'net                                'net
        ____|                                   |____
aaa.bbb.25.2/27  (gw pn0 )               ccc.ddd.78.62/30 (unknown card)
       |_____________________________________________|

                   [FreeBSD gateway box]
               ______________|_____________________
               |               |                  |
aaa.bbb.26.88/29 (gw pn1 )     |         ccc.ddd.72.144/25 (gw pn1 alias)
                aaa.bbb.26.96/29 (gw pn1 alias)

                 ___________switch____________
                 |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
                    The rest of the LAN
(which will also need to answer to IP's in the ccc.ddd.72.144/25 netblock)

</horrible ascii art>

HOW can I make this happen? I have to do something with the default
route, yes? But what else? I want the machines to be able to answer on
both (well, all three) subnets for an unknown time until the new 'net
has "proven" itself. (It's a totally new installation and I have heard
of other people on this new hardware having problems too.)

(Please forgive the horrible ascii "art" but I think it helps get the
point across, yes?)

--Ben
mailto:ben@instantemail.net