Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 09:25:02 -0600
From:      "Darryl Hoar" <darryl@osborne-ind.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ppp problems.

Greetings,
I have 4.0-release installed on a new box (K6-2 500, 128MB RAM). I have
an external US Robotics 56K modem attached to the new box.  The phone
line runs through the corporate phone system. (IE, dial 9 to get an outside
line).

I use userland ppp to manage the nat and the link (ie, ppp -auto -nat ....).
This
works fine most of the time.

here's the problem:

Several times during the day the modem link gets in an inconsistent state.
That
is, the lights show its connected, the transmit & receive lights flash, but
when
I log into the box and try to ping an internet ip address, it just hangs.
IE, no response.
Sometime I only need to power cycle the modem to clear the condition.
Sometimes,
I must manually stop/restart ppp.

I need this to work "hands free" most of the time.  Anyone got any ideas ?

I have already looked at trying to test with a dedicated, ie not through the
phone system, line.
 but due to the wiring this would be a major undertaking. So if there are
any other trouble shooting
steps, I want to take them first.

BTW:  ppp log file shows no errors.

thanks,