Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 16:57:00 +0200
From:      "Dr. Hein" <s.hein@spinner.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   upgrades [each time more trouble]

- my dear !

Upgrading from one FreeBSD version to the next release,
which  I have repeatedly, successfully, and very happily
accomplished since FreeBSD Release 2.7  [each time with
an increasing set of troubles, though] seems to be by now
[with  release 4.3] a matter of high expertise. - At least,
it has apparenty become a task for persons, who have not to
care very much about time as I [a numerical analyst, who mainly
wants to run rapidly  his many applications]. In fact, I really
can't afford to look for - and chase through - hundreds of
loosely distributed man pages, only to get the line printer
up and running, for instance.
[I won't speak about the gloating grin of the Linux party liners
under my colleagues, observing me].

To be concrete in some examples:
After installing  cups, for instance - why does the pertinent
printer setup and configuration tool [QT-CUPS, or CUPS WWW.admin.tool]
not automatically appear in the KDE  Task Manager  [as the two
do under Mandrake Linux, e.g.] ?

Or:  past a regular apsfilter setup [completely done in the very
familiar way], why  leads the  first printer call [lp  file1, e.g.]
to an error message ['lp: error - no default destination available'
- without any further explication or indication to the non-expert,
where this may be cured of. - The printer 'lp' was explicitely
mentioned in the setup configuration] ? And why, by heavens!
is the 'default destination' of lp not simply made 'available',
possibly on request, on running apsfilter setup ?

These and further [formerly not encountered] complications may
have their reasons and justifications. - What I, and certainly
some other average users, primarily notice is that FreeBSD
installation and upgrading is becoming each time less handy.

In our company, I fight a hard struggle for the use and maintanance
of Open Source systems,  in general, and  FreeBSD, in particular.
With respect to the outcome of this battle I could be more optimistic,
if I hadn't to spend so many [and each time more] hours for
post installation/upgrade  tuning of FreeBSD - beside and
sometimes instead doing my proper job.

With best regards,

Steffen Hein,

Spinner RF Lab, Munich