Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 21:32:49 -0700
From:      Ken Key <key@network-alchemy.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Kurt Joseph Windisch <kurtw@network-services.uoregon.edu>, Ken Key <key@network-alchemy.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCCARD on Digital HiNote Ultra 2000

Hi Folks,

  Kurt found that editing the pccard.conf entry for the 3c589D and
changing the IRQ to 11 got around this problem (I guess that was just
private mail not CC'ed to the list).  In the end, he got the 3c589 as
well as the modem half of the built-in Xircom modem/ethernet working in
the DEC (Compaq?) HiNote Ultra 2000.

Here's the pccard.conf fragment he sent me that worked with the above
combination.  I have not had a chance to try it yet (all *5* boxes of
3c589D's at Frys were missing Dongles when we opened them.  I think
3Com has a little Quality Control problem!)

Originally from Kurt:

%% I have all disablable devices in my BIOS disabled.
%%
%% from pccard.conf
%% ----------------
%%
%% io 0x240-0x2e0 0x300-0x360
%% irq 4 5 7 8 9 10 11 13 15
%% memory 0xd000 96k  0xd4000 96k
%% card "Xircom" "CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 + "
%% 	config 0x27 "sio0" 4
%% 	insert echo Xircom CreditCard Modem inserted
%% 	remove echo Xircom CreditCard Modem remove
%% card "3Com Corporation" "3C589D"
%% 	config 0x1 "ep0" 11
%% 	insert echo 3Com Etherlink III inserted
%% 	insert /etc/pccard_ether ep0
%% 	remove echo 3Com Etherlink III inserted
%% 	remove /sbin/ifconfig ep0 delete

I hope Kurt doesn't mind my speaking for him.

> > > The external slots are on the second controller. You need to:
> > >
> > >   cd /dev/; ./MAKEDEV card2 card3
> > >
> > > and restart pccardd.
> >
> > Great, this helped.  I added all the pcics to my kernel config and
> > and made the devices.  Now pccardd sees the card and matches it with an
> > entry in pccard.conf.
> >
> > HOWEVER, pccardd gives the error :
> >   driver allocation failed for 3Com Corporation
> >
> > Can you tell me what should be at the top of my pccard.conf (io, irq,
> > memory, etc lines).  I shouldn't need to change the 3Com 3C589D entry
> > should I?
> >

> Now you have my problem. :-/  I don't think the PCCARD controller is
> supported correctly yet.

regards,
K^2
--