Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2001 10:49:08 -0400
From:      Gary Geisbert <ggeisbert@e-centives.com>
To:        Jon Rust <jpr@vcnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.2S compromised: what now?

On Wednesday 04 April 2001 14:42, Jon Rust wrote:

> She has no other accounts on the network. The system was apparently
> broken into before I was running 4.2-S... probably 4.1.1-S from Oct 19.
> Telnet was allowed, but she only accessed it from our LAN. This machine

is it possible that someone had a sniffer running on your LAN?  Do you have
remote users via a VPN?  I've seen remote machines be compromised, and people
use them as entrypoints into a firewalled network (*waves to AOL*)

> DNS set-up.) Speaking of which, didn't openssh have an exploit a few
> months ago? Maybe that was how they got in?

It's very possible.. If my memory serves, OpenSSH < 2.3.0 was remotely
exploitable.

> jon

I hate it when people say things like this after the fact, but you may want
to setup an IDS box on your internal network.  I've had good luck with
snort.. as always, ymmv :-\

Good luck,

// Gary