Date:      Sun, 2 Nov 1997 21:24:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Shawn Ramsey <shawn@luke.cpl.net>
To:        cyberhaq <cyberhaq@concentric.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: login

> Hi! I have just installed FreeBSD on my system.  Now when I start up I
> get a login screen, what do I do from here.  I think the name I made was
> cyberhaq, and I also assigned a password, but It just keeps repeating
> login incorrect.  I wanted to know if there was a way to get back into
> the setup so I could make a new login, I just don't know what to do.
> Can you help? I have tried inserting the boot floppy into the drive but
> it just asks me if I want to do a new install.

Did it ask you to assign a password to the user root? You can try tying
root as the user and see what it does. If not boot into single user mode
and change the password for the account you made.

"passwd username"

or just "passwd" to change the password for root.

type -s at the boot prompt to go into single user mode.