Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 1997 05:55:56 -0400
From:      "Joel N. Weber II" <devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu
Cc:        andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu, jmb@FreeBSD.ORG, hoek@hwcn.org, softweyr@xmission.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

   Annelise, tho only thing that scares me about the school voucher thing is
   the terrible fact of prejudice.  You're in academia somewhat, aren't you?
   I don't know if you have the visibility to the politics that editors and
   publishers of school texts have to wade thru.  It makes it hard to produce
   books that actually teach something, because local school boards are very
   often more interested in pursuing local prejudices.

   At the state level, this is absolutely endemic.  I consider this really
   hamful.  I like to think of myself as being egalitarian.  While no one is
   free of prejudice, I try, and school vouchers (it seems to me) allow this
   kind of abuse without any limitation.

OTOH, I think that it also would open the possiblity that if you're a
concerned parent, you might have an easier time finding a book that you
like.

Personally, I find it ridiculous that most of what I've studied in
history seems to be about which group went to war with which other group.
Very little seems to involve individual people, unless those people
are in some way famous.

OTOH, I find some computer history quite fasinating.  I'd love to be
able to spend a few hours using and learning about ITS, for example.