Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 23:50:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bruce Albrecht <bruce@zuhause.mn.org>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adaptec AIC7895 termination issue

I've got a Gigabyte 6BXDS running dual Celerons (immaterial, I believe),
that FreeBSD complains about my SCSI termination.  It's got one Ultra SCSI
connector (8 bit, 50 pin) for port A, which is connected to a CDROM with
termination enabled, and a Ultra SCSI2 connector (16 bit, 68 pin) for port
A which has nothing connected to it, and a Ultra SCSI2 connecter (16 bit,
68 pin) for port B to which I have an IBM Ultrastar LVD drive with a LVD/SE
terminator on the end of the cable.  No matter what termination settings I
use in the BIOS, FreeBSD always tells me that port A is incorrectly
terminated.  The current BIOS termination settings are for termination on
for port A, and port B enabled, which seems to be what the manual
recommends if I only had 8 bit or only had 16 bit SCSI on port A.

Do I need to move the Ultra SCSI2 cable from port B to port A, and set up
the termination to high byte only to match the example in for internal 8 +
16 bit devices?  Just how independent are the two ports, anyway?