Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2001 14:05:41 -0800
From:      "Paul M . Lambert" <plambert@plambert.net>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Anyone having luck with XFree86 4.0.2 on a Savage/MX (Toshiba Tecra 8100)?

I'm running out of places to look for information on this, and so I've
been reduced to looking here, since I know a lot of the readers of this
list have Tecra 8100's.  I've seen nothing in the XFree86 mailing
lists on these issues.

I've built XFree86 4.0.2 from source, and am trying to use the savage
driver with my Toshiba Tecra 8100 (a Savage/MX video chip).

I'm having all sorts of odd problems.  I can get it to come up in 16-bit
and look just fine, but clients will dump core a lot: for example, the
default xinitrc runs twm, which comes up just fine, but then as soon as I
point to a window decoration, it dumps core.  xterms will work for a few
minutes, and then do the same thing.

If I bring the server up in 24-bit or 8-bit modes, it seems to _work_
fine, but the appearance is very broken... hard to describe, but basically
the layout is correct (things are located in the correct spots) but the
display is very... mottled.  Almost speckled.  Impossible to use, certainly.

Has anyone gotten their Tecra 8100 to work?  I'd love to be able to
use FreeBSD on this thing and get rid of Windows for good.

Thanks for any suggestions and/or help anyone can give.

--plambert