Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 11:09:32 -0000
From:      "G D McKee" <freebsd@gdmckee.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   SYSTEM will not boot (HELP!!!)

Hi

I reconfigured a spare partition last night and when I booted the box this
morning I get the following error (everything before this loos as normal,
unfortunately I can't get the log file off the box to include the whole
thing, but this is the relevant part, well I think so anyway):

Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0S1a
elf_load_section: truncating ELF file
Jan 17 10:53:20 init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going into
single user mode
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:

When I hit return, nothing, just the same old error(as above).  I have
managed to get in on /bin/csh.  The permissions on the file /bin/sh seemed
to be 600 instead of 555.  I changed this and rebooted and I am still
getting the same error.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get my box back up live?

Your help is always much appreciated.

Gordon McKee