Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 2002 07:57:16 -0700
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        <johann@broadpark.no>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Dead screens problem

From what I understand, 8M is the minimum required for a FBSD install so
16M should be OK.  But if you're running X windows, maybe you need more?

The hangs I am experiencing are complete system freezes.  The machine
will not respond at all.  Not at the console, not to pings, not to
anything.  The only thing I can do is power off/on and then the machine
runs fine for a while.  It will run weeks as long as I don't do heavy
compiling or upgrade my ports database.

Another person was having unexplained reboots.  He went back to 4.4p9
and they cleared up.  I've seen similar complaints from a few others.

So it sounds like your situation is different than mine.  Good luck on
your search for resolution!

Drew