Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 03:07:19 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@hades.hell.gr>
To:        matt <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP/IP

On Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 12:53:12PM -0500, matt wrote:

| I would love to talk my uplink (uunet.ca) into filtering certain things
| before they pass it on to my router, wish they would =/ Besides that, I
| filter syn,fin, icmp, all udp except ntp/dns, besides that, I don't think
| there is much that I can do.

Amen for uplink filtering.  I've been getting on a dialup link with a
28.8 modem packets like:

    tun0 @0:2 b 212.120.196.238 -> 224.0.0.13 PR pim len 20 (30)
    tun0 @0:2 b 212.120.196.238 -> 224.0.0.1 PR igmp len 20 (28)

and i know for sure that no multicast channels have been joined by my
machine ;)

My ipfilter has done an excellent job dropping all these, but I still
think it's wasted bandwidth.  They seem to come every 30 secs or so!

Ahem...

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
"Don't let your schooling interfere with your education." [??]