Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 10:34:00 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Ervins Reinverts <erv@quattro.lv>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   too many groups

Hello,

I have to administer a FreeBSD system which was designed (not by me) so
that there are lots of different groups and each user belongs to many of
them. It was some 3.x release of FreeBSD.
After disk crash I decided to upgrade to 4.3-RELEASE and found out that
there is limit to 16 groups that the user can belong to. After looking in
the internet I found out that there is NGROUPS_MAX (or whatever it was
called) variable in syslimits.h . I changed it to somewhat more reasonable
value and recompiled the kernel, but it does not seem to help. :(
How could I solve this problem? Redesigning everything to use less groups
would be real pain.

Thanks in advance,
Ervins Reinverts