Date:      Sat, 25 Nov 2000 11:42:23 -0600
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "Operador del sistema" <operador@nietzsche.webcaribe.net>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Upgrade kernel

From: "Operador del sistema" <operador@nietzsche.webcaribe.net>
> Hi, our principal server runs freebsd-3.4, it recives a hdlc internet line
> using a et5025-16 board (etinc.com).
> In order to set up the board on freebsd, etinc.com provides a driver
> depending on each kernel version. Mine is 3.4 version. here it's the dmesg
> part:
>
> ET/5025(-16,PQ),ET/HSSI HDLC Driver v3.16-beta
> eth0 at 0x240-0x24f irq 5 maddr 0xd0000 on isa
>
> I would like to know what will happens when i will try to "make world" to
> the -stable code?, I mean, how existent driver will be added to new kernel
> code?
> Please, i really appreciate your help, this is a "productive" box and we
> cant stop the internet line.

First you need to check:

    ftp://ftp.etinc.com/pub/freebsd

for the latest driver for the version of FreeBSD that you want to upgrade
to.

    4.1    freebsd41_hdlc_3.16l.tgz
    3.4    freebsd34_hdlc_3.16l.tgz

Then follow the instructions in /usr/hdlc/doc/bsdman.htm on how to install
the driver into your kernel.

Which version of FreeBSD -Stable do you want to upgrade to (3.5 or 4.2)?

Scot