Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 2003 13:17:19 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Andreas Wider?e Andersen <awand@pragma.no>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A couple of questions related to the sendmail patch, etc.

On 2003-03-05 12:00, Andreas Wider?e Andersen <awand@pragma.no> wrote:
> At 12:27 05.03.2003 +0200, you wrote:
> >On 2003-03-04 22:38, taxman <taxman@acd.net> wrote:
> >
> >Hmmm, sorry for the confusion.  I didn't read the patch carefully.
> >The correct way of applying it for 8.11.x is:
> >
> >        # cd /usr/src/contrib/sendmail/src
> >        # patch -p1 < /PATH/TO/sendmail.8.11.6.security.cr.patch
>
> I'm running the patch now, but it looks strange to me..
> Is this patch suppose to take a long time (minutes) without any
> output on the screen?

No, it's supposed to be real fast and generate copious output on your
monitor detailing what files are touched by the changes of the patch.
You probably missed the '<' redirection shown above.  The patch(1)
utility reads the diff of changes from standard input.  If you don't
redirect its stdin with `patch < file' it waits for input from the
terminal.

- Giorgos