Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 23:50:31 -0600
From:      "Justin W. Pauler" <jwpauler@jwpages.com>
To:        David Syphers <dbsypher@uchicago.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: apache won't start

Just a guess, but maybe add:

	<ip>	cerberus.seektruth.org

To /etc/hosts...

getbyhostname() looks like its trying to get your IP address, and when it is
not able too, it won't load. since you say this is 'fresh out of the box' it
makes me wonder wether or not you have this.. a fresh install wont.

--jwp

On Tuesday 19 December 2000 23:38, David Syphers wrote:
> On a fresh 4.2-R system, ipfw configured but everything allowed for
> lo0.  The system is _not_ connected to the internet at this point.  I
> installed apache 1.3.14 from the ports collection.  The only thing I
> changed in httpd.conf was ServerName, setting it to "127.0.0.1" since this
> I'm just using this for local testing right
> now.  '/usr/local/sbin/apachectl start' results in the oh-so-useful 'httpd
> could not be started' message.  The syntax of the conf files checks out
> okay.  I looked at FreeBSD.layout in /usr/ports/www/apache13 and it looked
> reasonable, looked at httpd -V and it looked reasonable
> ('HTTPD_ROOT="/usr/local"' and httpd is expected in
> "etc/apache/httpd.conf", which is where it is).  Apache's error log file
> says "... [alert] mod_unique_id: unable to
> getbyhostname("cerberus.seektruth.org")".  Obviously it wouldn't be able to
> do anything with my hostname since I'm not on the internet.  What is it
> trying to do and why?
>
> I looked at the mailing list archives for this question because I think the
> same thing happened to me a year ago, the last time I tried to install
> apache.  Many people asked about this, few got replies.  I checked things
> the few replies mentioned: looked at the apachectl script, checked log
> paths, checked ServerName, checked located vs. expected location for the
> config files.  Nothing helped.
>
> This system is out-of-the-box 4.2-R/apache 1.3.14 except for the fact that
> I have ipfw (halfway) configured.  However, everything is allowed for lo0,
> and ipfw shouldn't mess at all with just _starting_ apache.  Suggestions
> would be much appreciated.  I would very much like to move SeekTruth.org
> from my WinNT laptop to a dedicated FreeBSD server  :)
>
> Please cc: to me, I'm not on -questions.
>

> -David

Justin W. Pauler (drnet)
E-Mail: jwpauler@jwpages.com
WWW: http://www.jwpages.com