Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 2002 13:56:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "local.freebsd.current" <local.freebsd.current@insignia.com>, "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: DP2: nfsiod

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, John Baldwin wrote:

> On 22-Nov-2002 local.freebsd.current wrote:
> > Having installed DP2 and said NO to NFS client and
> > server in sysinstall (and there's nothing about them
> > in /etc/rc.conf) I see four nfsiod daemons running
> > after the first boot. Are they supposed to be there?
>
> Yes.  If you have NFS client support in your kernel they will be there.
> GENERIC has NFS client support enabled by default.  Hmm this is kind of
> a policy change as it now means that nfs_client_enable is basically
> useless unless you compile a custom kernel w/o NFS client support in
> which case the startup scripts will attempt to load it as a module for
> you.

Per our phone conversation this morning, the way to think about it is
this:

The only function of nfsiod is to provide asynchronous write-behind
functionality.  On -STABLE, even if nfsiod isn't actually running, if the
NFS client code is present in the kernel, NFS will still work.  What
nfs_client_enable should do is:

	(1) Load the kernel module if it's not already loaded
	(2) Tune the kernel module if appropriate
	(3) Possibly start rpcbind as a dependency
	(4) Possibly start rpc.statd as a dependency
	(5) Possibly start rpc.lockd as a dependency

Note that the rpc.lockd support is still experimental in 5.0 for
client-side locking, and as such, might not be good to enable by default.
I notice that  in the original message for this thread, there's reference
to release documentation indicating that client side locking isn't
implemented: this is actually not the case.  We do implement it now.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories