Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 12:56:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Curry <scurry505@yahoo.com>
To:        Dave VanAuken <dave@hawk-systems.com>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Software vs Hardware Router (was: What name brand would you buy for a firewall/router)

Dave,

First of all I appoligize if in a previous email you
described what type of environment you are in.  I've
been busy and I haven't had a chance to read each and
every email on this busy list.  I'm in a environment
that uses tonz of Cisco, tonz of Foundery, and *TONZ*
of freeBSD.  I use a freeBSD router in my job-domain
here at Yahoo and it works great.  It gets hammered
and often and is always a happy little box.  However
my job is not to sell you on a BSD box or a job
specific <brand-name-goes-here> router.  I also use a
box at home to do the whole filter
packets/firewall/port-forwarding role and once again
it works fine.  I use a BSD box because it's cost
effective, reliable and I understand it.  I can't see
spending the money to buy a job specific router
although if I did I wouldn't hesitate to using it.
You mention edge routing, are you doing this?  What is
your application?  Cough up some details and maybe we
(the list) can help.

Steve Curry
Technical Yahoo
Yahoo! Inc.