Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 18:09:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        jon@FreeBSD.org, imp@FreeBSD.org, mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Cardbus working in i5000e with a gross hack...

Hey gang,

As suspected, the cardbus problems that I have been having are due to the
cardbus code allocating resources for cardbus cards that collide with PCI
devices that didn't have a driver match for them and thus allocate their
resources.  As a proof-of-concept hack, I worked up a quick patch that
allocated resources for non-match PCI devices.  Of course, this breaks the
ability to kldload a driver for a PCI device after boot, so it is by no means
commit-worthy code.  It also explicitly ignores interrupt resources as my silly
laptop won't let me disable assigning an IRQ to the VGA device, and the cardbus
bridge uses that same IRQ, so I had to not allocate the IRQ to the VGA device
to allow the cardbus bridge to attach.  However, with this patch I can now use
a 3c575 10/100 cardbus card w/o any problems.  I still can't use pccard cards,
but neither can anyone else AFAIK. :-P  The hack I used is at
http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/patches/cardbus.hack.patch for the curious.