Date:      Wed, 21 Sep 2005 13:45:04 +0200
From:      Martin Nilsson <martin@gneto.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Patch to use fence instructions

John Baldwin wrote:
> This patch changes the atomic operations and bus space barriers to use the x86
> fence instructions.  Please test, thanks!
>
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/patches/amd64_fences.patch

What kind of performance improvements can we expect with this patch?
Is it worthwile to compare performance on dualcore Pentium D with
sysbench before and after this patch? Does it affect threads & mutex
performance?

Sysbench is a benchmark specially made to determine lowlevel performance
important for MySQL and be found here: http://sysbench.sourceforge.net/

/Martin