Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 2000 16:52:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas Good <tomg@mailhost.nrnet.org>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Nobody versus FreeBSD

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Jonathan Chen wrote:

> > I have a (postgres) database accessed via apache and perl/CGI.
> > Nobody is my default user.  The code that works on Linux (boo hiss)
> > is failing on FBSD in one minor area:  mail delivery.
> > He is unable to write to /var/spool/mqueue.
>
> The perl script should be talking to the smtp port and not attempting
> to write to /var/spool/mqueue directly. Any workaround in adding
> `nobody' to the various additional groups tends to compromise
> security.
>
> What sort of errors does /var/log/maillog list?

Jonathan,

This adding nobody to other groups is ineffective anyhoo.
Only making the target dir 777 gets the mail delivered and I'd rather
not do that...

Here is my /var/log/maillog complaint:

Aug  9 16:43:25 postman sendmail[309]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(nobody): queuename:
Cannot create "qfQAA00309" in "/var/spool/mqueue" (euid=65534): Permission
denied

Cheers,
Tom
               SVCMC - Center for Behavioral Health
Thomas Good                          tomg@ { admin | q8 } .nrnet.org
IS Coordinator / DBA                 Phone: 718-354-5528
                                     Fax:   718-354-5056