Date:      26 Dec 2002 18:49:14 -0000
From:      Scott Ballantyne <sdb@ssr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Backspace key under gnometerminal

A couple of weeks ago I wrote:

> How does one get consistant behavior of the backspace key in emacs and
> gnometerm? I've fed xmodmap
>
> remove Lock = Caps_Lock
> remove Control = Control_L
> keysym Control_L = Caps_Lock
> keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L
> add Lock = Caps_Lock
> add Control = Control_L
> keysym BackSpace = Delete
>
> and then
>
> echo "XTerm*ttyModes: erase " | xrdb -merge
>
> which has worked for me in other unices and is documented in the
> xmodmap man page for freebsd, but no joy. It doesn't work for xterm
> either :-(
>
> Running 4.7-RELEASE for i386.

I received several requests for answers, but no answer. However, the
following seems to work here: Set your xmodmap as shown above but
don't use gnometerm, use xterm (this also helps if you need utmp to be
munged) and incorporate this into your resources db:
XTerm*deleteIsDEL: true

sdb
--
sdb@ssr.com