Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2001 12:16:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chet Hosey <chosey@nidhog.com>
To:        "Drew J. Weaver" <drew.weaver@thenap.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-isp@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   OT: RE: Chasing the kiddies (was: Named Keep crashing)

From what I've seen, RH has GUI tools for a lot of things (Linuxconf, I
think?). RH seems much simpler to run (as an end user) than FreeBSD. You
can download RPMs for everything, including the kernel. I know RedHat
users who've never touched gcc.

Even using ports requires slightly more knowledge than "Using Netscape,
download coolproggie.rpm, open an xterm, and run rpm -i coolproggie.rpm".

Under Debian, upgrading Bind for the security fix is a matter of "apt-get
update; apt-get install bind". Hell, upgrading *everything*, system libs,
init, X, name-your-vi-clone, emacs, bind, lynx, etc., is just "apt-get
update; apt-get dist-upgrade".

The RedHat way of doing things allows one to avoid understanding. It seems
that FreeBSD allows less ignorance.

Chet Hosey
<chosey@nidhog.com>