Date:      Fri, 3 Nov 2000 19:07:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
Cc:        kate@gutatelecom.ru, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Possible problem in threads lib in -STABLE ?

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Mikko Tyolajarvi wrote:
> In local.freebsd-stable you write:
>
> >This is my third attempt at getting help, after trying freebsd-bugs and
> >freebsd-hackers mailing lists. Folks, please, do have a look.
>
> I'm certain nobody is ignoring you just to be mean -- your problem
> looks sort-of complex... :-)
>
> >I was pursuing a strange bug which causes mysqld to hang (that is not to
> >accept any new connections) on FreeBSD 4.1 after working for some time
> >properly and MySQL folks suggested that there may be some pecularity in
> >FreeBSD threads library. I cvsup'ed FreeBSD on Nov 2 (after the code freeze
> >I presume). The problem persists.
>
> >Just tell me, is it normal that an app should be stuck in _thread_sys_poll
> >when clients are trying to connect to it ?

Sorry, I just caught this thread.  There are problems with the threads
library in -stable.  These have largely been addressed in -current,
but there are a still a couple of known problems remaining.  I have
a patch at:

  http://people.freebsd.org/~deischen/libc_r.diffs-stable

that merges the threads from -current into -stable.  Please try this
and see if it fixes your problem.  I hope to update this patch with
some more changes, so check back again in a couple of days.

These changes are not going to make it into 4.2-RELEASE.  I will
keep the patch file above updated with whatever changes make it
into -current, and MFC when I have adequate feedback that they
don't break anything that currently works.

--
Dan Eischen