Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 20:45:41 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Daniel Flickinger <attila@hun.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, FreeBSD-CURRENT <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 3+ days: syntax error in makedevs.c (sysinstall)

--wRRV7LY7NUeQGEoC

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 11:02:52PM +0000, Daniel Flickinger wrote:

> + The 'installincludes' thing appears to be unnecessary and can possibly
> + cause problems.
>=20
>   well, you can rattle that around with phk, too! [g]
>=20
>   installincludes puts the corresponding headers in
>   place for the compiler. theoretically, buildworld
>   -I declarations cover the game... but....

Yes, buildworld builds includes itself, so at best this is a NOP, and
it should under no circumstances be required.

> + This isn't enough..you have to 'make cleandir' (not 'make clean')
> + twice to remove all cruft from the obj and build dir (the first time
> + removes the obj dir completely, the second time picks up any remaining
> + cruft in the build directory itself.  Stale generated files in your
> + build directory can certainly cause buildworld failures.
>=20
>   even if there are stray files after 'clean' (which there were
>   not since I checked the obj tree, the function of 'depend' is
>   to check the time stamps as well.

Assuming the makefiles are non-broken.  Some of the 'depend' targets
in the source tree are very dubious.  kdump, ktrace and sysinstall are
three targets which usually refuse to rebuild generated files when
dependencies change (and 'make depend' does nothing).

>   running cleandir twice still left me after 'make all' with:
>=20
>       makedevs.c:54: syntax error before ',' token
>       makedevs.c:60: syntax error before ',' token
>       *** Error code 1

What is the relevant part of the file?

Kris

--wRRV7LY7NUeQGEoC