Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 1995 02:40:11 -0700
From:      Joshua Peck Macdonald <jmacd@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami | =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, jmacd@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: g77 port

I too got it to compile and all, but I'm curious if it should
link with libf2c automatically, which yours doesn't and I was
unable to make work.  For example, consider the following
program (your lack of testing, don't you know any fortran???
they made me learn it!!!)

thud-~ % cat test.f
        print *,'Hello, world'
        end

thud-~ % g77 test.f
test.f:
   MAIN:
/usr/lib/crt0.o: Undefined symbol `_main' referenced from text segment
/var/tmp/cc0113911.o: Undefined symbol `_s_wsle' referenced from text segment
/var/tmp/cc0113911.o: Undefined symbol `_do_lio' referenced from text segment
/var/tmp/cc0113911.o: Undefined symbol `_e_wsle' referenced from text segment

the only way to make it link is

g77 test.f -lf2c

this shouldn't be neccesary.  and I'm not sure how to fix it.  I think
a good install rule would rm /usr/bin/f77 rm /usr/bin/f2c and install
g77 there, linking f77, by the way, but that's not a good rule.

-josh