Date:      Wed, 06 Nov 2002 10:42:41 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Thomas Moestl <tmm@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please review: small patches for building documentation on FreeBSD/sparc64

--==_Exmh_-909584608P

If memory serves me right, Thomas Moestl wrote:

> I have attached a few small patches to the doc framework and related
> ports (maintainers CCed) to get documentation building (as part of
> release building) (mostly) working on FreeBSD/sparc64.

Outstanding!

> The main change is that I decided to go with openjade on sparc64,
> mainly because alpha is using it (I also had some problems with it,
> but that may have been due to a linker bug which I have since
> fixed). Is there any reason to prefer jade over openjade?

My memory might be a little faulty, but I seem to remember that jade
either didn't compile or didn't run on the alpha.  openjade works fine
on all platforms, except that it might have had difficulty dealing with
8-bit characters.  There was some discussion of this a little over a year
ago...look for a thread on hackers@ in August 2001 with the subject
"building 'release' and compiling doc ports".

> The remaining diffs correct a missing perl build dependency,

I recommend USE_PERL5 instead of adding to BUILD_DEPENDS.

> and add
> lang/perl5 to the list of ports to check out in the DOMINIMALDOCPORTS
> case.

OK.  We really ought to figure out how to automatically generate this
but it's a little difficult without having a complete, up-to-date ports
tree lying around at the start of the release build.

> There are  two remaining problems: a checksum mismatch in the
> print/ghostscript-gnu port (I was unable to find an old version of the
> distfile, so I cannot correct this)

A bunch of people (including myself) have run into this.  Unfortunately
I don't have an old distfile around either.  :-(

> and the bletcherous perl wrapper
> which breaks port dependencies (fatal in a release build setting).

I presume you meant for the openjade port.  If you use USE_PERL5 instead
of setting BUILD_DEPENDS, I think the ports infrastructure should do the
right thing.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-909584608P

--==_Exmh_-909584608P--