Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 1995 16:53:17 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        itsymbal@husc.harvard.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD & ATI Mach64 install problem (follow-up)

Sir Ilya Tsymbal stands accused of saying:

> I have been having a problem installing FreeBSD with Mach64 card.
> During the start-up phase when hardware is probed, the screen either goes
> blank or (depending on the monitor) shows lines.
>
> A different cideo card (Diamond SpeedStar) works fine.
>
> I have found that if I start with -c flag during boot and disable ALL com
> ports - sio0-3 then the card behaves appropriately. I do need to use a
> mouse ( at least) and preferably a modem.

It would appear that the Mach64 in your configuration conflicts with your
serial ports.

> The ATI install disk claims the card is using Base I/O address 0x2ECh;
> however, with all com ports disabled it works fine if sc0 is set to either
> 0x2ec (card's setting) or 0x60.

Leave sc0 at 0x60.  It's not trying to talk to the special registers on the
Mach64.

> I have found no sure way to tell which IRQ the card is using; it seems to
> work fine with sc0's irq set to 1.

IRQ 1 is the keyboard.  If the Mach64 generates any interrupts, they'll
be on IRQ 9.

> If I leave any one com port enabled, the card will mess up. Wether or not
> the particular com port is actually present does not seem to make a
> difference.

Are you certain about this?  0x2ec will conflict with sio3, which is at 0x2e8.
I would expect this to cause some problems.  Note that most/all S3 based
video boards occupy this address, and thus conflict to some degree with
com4.

> Ilya Tsymbal

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[