Date:      Wed, 06 Sep 2006 18:11:19 -0400
From:      Jeffrey Racine <racinej@mcmaster.ca>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   gdm help please...

Hi.

I am running releng 6.1 with gnome 2.12 on my notebook. I was
experiencing problems with gnome 2.14 due likely to multiple
portupgrades over the past year some of which did not go smoothly. One
symptom was that gdm was no longer working (I do have gdm_enable="YES"
in my rc.conf etc.). Therefore, I decided this morning to remove all
ports and do a quick reinstall of gnome via pkg_add -r gnome2 which
installed gnome 2.12. All appears to be working except gdm still does
not work. There is nothing in any log file in /var/log to help,
and /var/log/gdm is empty. I can run gdm manually as root
with /usr/X11R6/sbin/gdm, it just does not want to come up at boot time
for me for some odd reason.

Any suggestion as to where to begin debugging would be most welcome. I
have spent hours to no avail.

Many thanks for your help and suggestions.

-- Jeff

--
Professor J. S. Racine         Phone:  (905) 525 9140 x 23825
Department of Economics        FAX:    (905) 521-8232

`The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance'