Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 1998 23:18:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Danny Dulai <nirva@ishiboo.com>
Cc:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Co=EFdanSm=F8rgrav?= <dag-erli@ifi.uio.no>, Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>, Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Limit 'ps' to show only user's processes

I don't think there is any way to hide the existence of other processes --
a process that performs:

int i, lasti;
while (1) {
	i = fork();
	if (!i) {
		exit(0);
	}
	if (i != lasti + 1) {

I think the real goal here is to limit the availability of the command
line arguments and environmental variables, and possibly (probably) also
the executable in use.  That should not be too hard if all utilities that
munge this data out of kmem are finally moved to using /proc...

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Danny Dulai wrote:

> Quoting David E. Cross (crossd@cs.rpi.edu):

> > > No you can't. ps(1) is setgid kmem.
> >
> > ls -la /proc
>
> Also, you'd need to fix kill(2) and any other syscall that takes a
> pid as an arg to return some incorrect error.
>
> I could always write a program that needed no special privs:
>
>     for (i=1; i<MAXPID; i++)
> 	if (kill(i, 0) >= 0 || errno != ESRCH)
> 	    printf("pid %d exists");
>
> Now, this isnt giving you much information, but it is leaking the existence
> of other pids, that arent owned by you.
>
> --

  Robert N Watson

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/