Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 09:50:52 -0600
From:      Alan Edmonds <alan.edmonds@sterling.com>
To:        "S. H." <bearoakdruid@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCMCIA on Gateway Solo 2100

"S. H." wrote:

> >From: Alan Edmonds <alan.edmonds@sterling.com>
> >To: "S. H." <bearoakdruid@hotmail.com>
> >Subject: Re: PCMCIA on Gateway Solo 2100
> >Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 08:10:54 -0600
> >
> >Make sure your device line in the kernel config file matches your hardware.
> >And that the available irqs, io ports, etc listed in pccard.conf are
> >free.  I had to comment out the IRQ5 since the sound card used it.
>
> I am not sure what you mean here. Again, I am new to FreeBSD.  Do you mean
> the device line for my 3C589D card, or something else?  If so, the
> pccard.conf file seems to indicate that the device for the 3C589D is ep0,
> but the man pages seems to indicate I should be using zp0.  If I use ep0,
> the system doesn't find it during boot.  Do I need a different syntax in the
> kernel config file?  [ It looks like it is looking on the ISA bus. ] In
> BSD/OS, the syntax was something like:
> ef0 at pcmcia0
> Is there a similar syntax for FreeBSD?
>
> If I use zp0 in the kernel config file, the make fails.  [ I don't remember
> the error, something about not being able to define something that is
> already defined. ]

Sorry. I was working from memory of last weekend and just now doing a 4.0 upgrade.
Use the "device ep0" line in the kernel config, not zp.  Don't fill in the
irq, io, etc.  Unfortunately, I'm no expert either.  Check the pccard.conf
file and make sure the settings at the top will work for your hardware.
Again, I was working with 3.4-STABLE and things may have improved in this
area since 3.3.

Also, run "pccardc dumpcis" and it should show you what cards are plugged in.

> Again, I am not an idiot, but I haven't used FreeBSD before so I am not sure
> what I am doing.  I have the FreeBSD book by Greg Lehey and although I
> haven't read it front to back yet, I haven't found many pointers to PCMCIA
> configuration.
>
> Maybe I should ask a different question.  What devices should I see probed
> during boot to get my 3C589D working?
>
> I have a pcic0 device, but I don't see anything else.
>
> pcic0: <Cirrus Logic PD6729/6730 PC-Card Controller> rev 0xee int a irq 255
> on pci0.19.0

That looks alright to me.

--
Alan Edmonds, KB5ZUY               Sterling Software
                                   M/S 132