Date:      Sun, 24 Jun 2001 02:34:03 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        juha@saarinen.org
Cc:        joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Staying *really stable* in FreeBSD

From: "Juha Saarinen" <juha@saarinen.org>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 12:00:59 +1200

> "19.2.2.2. Who needs FreeBSD-STABLE?
> If you are a commercial user or someone who puts maximum stability of
> their FreeBSD system before all other concerns, you should consider
> tracking FreeBSD-STABLE. This is especially true if you have installed

It's probably time to rewrite that paragraph substantially.  It was
something of a tactical error to encourage certain interest groups to
run "work in progress" code, even if that work is very carefully
bounded and kept "in progress" for the shortest periods possible.

You just can't have a code base which is actually going places and
having things actively updated (which is generally a really good idea,
especially when the updates involved fixing bugs) and also guarantee
that it's particularly usable for anything.  Whether it builds
flawlessly without warnings or not, it still represents a fairly
significant unknown quantity until such time as you've frozen the code
and spent a few weeks, at minimum, collecting user reports and making
very carefully selected changes.

We've also heard any number of suggestions for "fixing" the problem,
from aggressive automated tagging (which would be tremendously
expensive with CVS and not fix the "builds but doesn't work" problem)
to extensive regression test suites that nobody seems to have time to
actually write.

As I said at the beginning, perhaps it's time to simply re-write the
Handbook paragraph which inadvertently "sells" -stable as a solution
for certain types of problems it was never meant to solve.

- Jordan