Date:      Sun, 9 Sep 2001 14:06:45 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "ann kok" <annkok2001@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: cable modem

With IP numbering, one way to roughly divide it up is to classify IP
addresses as either "public" or "private".  Sometimes the terms
"legal" and "illegal" are used.

Public numbers are IP numbers that are routable on the general Internet.
For example if you have the public number 200.100.100.1 then from any
point on the Internet that is not your network I can send traffic to that
address and that traffic will terminate at your machine.

Private numbers are IP numbers that are not routable on the Internet.
For example if you have a system with an IP number 192.168.1.1 then from
any point on the Internet that is not your network I can attempt to send
traffic to that address but my traffic will terminate almost immediately,
many, many hops away from you.

This allows many many networks to use the same IP numbers internally, you
can use 192.168.1.1, someone else can use 192.168.1.1, etc. etc.  Thus
it makes sense that I cannot send traffic to you because there is no way to
tell the Internet routers that my traffic to 192.168.1.1 is supposed to
go to you, and not someone else running 192.168.1.1

There are ranges of IP numbers that are specifically set aside as private
numbers, they are detailed in RFC1918.  Generally, the networking hardware
that's used to allow people running those numbers to access hosts on the
Internet is either a Network Address Translator, or a Proxy Server.  It is
also possible to use public routable numbers as private numbers, but the same
restrictions apply in that you have to use either a NAT or a Proxy server.
Also an additional problem with doing that is that if you use the IP numbers
assigned to someone elses computers, you will have problems accessing their
network.  This is why RFC1918 sets aside numbers.