Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 14:00:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/34908: libpng port makes bad dynamic library on -CURRENT

The following reply was made to PR ports/34908; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To: Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc: "Michael D. Harnois" <mharnois@cpinternet.com>,
	Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>, "Alexander N. Kabaev" <ak03@gte.com>,
	Bjoern Fischer <bfischer@Techfak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>,
	current@FreeBSD.ORG,
	"freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD. Org" <freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG>,
	vova@sw.ru
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 13:59:10 -0800

 On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 11:29:46AM -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:
 > Actually, there was a discussion at BSDCon as to whether or
 > not to drop the a.out support in order to decrease the patch
 > size necessary to make the FSF distributed code do what FreeBSD

 That is true for GCC.  For contrib/binutils, the code only supports
 FreeBSD/ELF.  The old a.out as & ld are elsewhere in the tree -- and have
 not been updated for years.

 > needed it to do (personally, I would prefer that the a.out
 > code generation be integrated back into the FSF code base but
 > this is unlikely for FSF political reasons with regard to the

 I have tried many times...