Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 1998 13:26:28 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Steve Clark <darkstar@aei.ca>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Create newbie site?

On Sun, Feb 15, 1998 at 08:49:17PM -0500, Steve Clark wrote:
> Hello everybody I am interested in building a complete newbie site to
> help the average user and complete beginner to the step over into
> FreeBSD. I am just wondering if the site would help and if it would be
> used by the general public.

The trouble with web sites is that they're one-way communications. It is
difficult to cause corrections to be made, or to know whether the contents
can be accepted as being correct. Same goes for the appropriateness of
language, presentation style, and so on. For new users all of these things
are terribly important, and some might still believe that if it's on the web
it must be believed.

I don't mean to suggest that you wouldn't do a great job! But to do so you
would need feedback and the feedback you'd get wouldn't necessarily be of
the type which you'd need. Some people who could really benefit from the
information might be reluctant to rely on it if it's simply someone's idea
of what might be helpful. Others might be too quick to rely on it.

If a web site were a good idea (and I have reservations), it would need to
be done by someone who knows and awful lot about FreeBSD and how to
communicate with newbies, who has years of experience in both, and is
generally acknowledged as having those attributes. Considering the amount of
thankless work involved, I would be inclined to doubt the suitability of
anyone who would be willing to take it on :-)

These are the conclusions I reached some time ago when considering the same
thing myself. Basically it's a fantastic idea, long overdue, but I can't see
any way it could be made to work.

Other views may be equally valid. As a newbie, what would I know? :-)

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-

find / -name "*.conf" |more