Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 1999 07:04:31 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
Cc:        Mojahedul Hoque Abul Hasanat <mojahed@citechco.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where to buy?

On Thursday, 17 June 1999 at 10:23:15 -0400, Christopher Michaels wrote:

>> On Wednesday, June 16, 1999 11:32 PM, Mojahedul Hoque Abul Hasanat <mojahed@citechco.net> wrote:
>> To:	freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>> Subject:	Where to buy?
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am a Linux fellow who have become very interested in FreeBSD. I
>> can't download it off the Net, so I have to buy CDs.
>>
>> Anyone has experience with FreeBSD from CheapBytes? They are offering
>> a 2 CD set for $8. Vendors like this sometimes have a few quirks in
>> the distribution.
>>
>> Also, anyone knows how this CD set compares with the 4 CD set from
>> Walnut Creeks priced at $40? I am not concerned about printed
>> documentation.
>>
>> Many thanks in advance for any help or suggestion.
>
> Well, I can't say much about the quality of the CheapBytes cds because I've
> never used them.  I can tell you this.  When you buy the cd's from Walnut
> Creek you are supporting the FreeBSD Project, whereas when you buy from
> Cheapbytes, I do not believe that the FreeBSD Project sees any of those
> proceeds.
>
> I realize that it's a great difference in price, but I believe that our
> favorite "Free" operating system can use all the support it can get.

If there's any such thing as an official standpoint on this issue, it
would be "If you can afford it, buy the Walnut Creek version.  If you
can't, buy Cheapbytes; it's better than not getting it at all".
Having said that, I don't know anybody who uses the Cheapbytes
version, so I can't comment on the quality beyond the fact that I
haven't heard of any problems.

Greg