Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 1999 23:25:25 -0500
From:      Kelvin Farmer <kfarmer@trentu.ca>
To:        yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: splash screen & xdm]

> >It seems that if the splash screen image is not cleared (ie: press any
> >key) before xdm starts up then once logged in the user is unable to
> >switch to a vitual terminal (ie: ctrl-alt-f1 etc), and it just beeps
> >when those keys are pressed.
> >Solution? Putting the command kldunload splash_bmp before the line that
> >loads xdm seems to work. Is this a bug or just the way things are?
>
> Definitely a bug.
>
> Which version of the X server are you using?

3.3.3.1
and, if it helps, my video card is detected as:

vga0: <S3 ViRGE VX graphics accelerator> rev 0x02 int a irq 11 on
pci0.17.0

sc0 on isa
sc0: VGA color <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x0>

vga0 at 0x3b0-0x3df maddr 0xa0000 msize 131072 on isa

> Did you see any error message when this happened?  /var/log/messages*
> may reveal something.

nothing produced in /var/log/messages,
nothing on xconsole

After logging out of the x session, (back to xdm) it beeps and logs:
"xf86OpenConsole: VT_ACTIVATE failed" in xdm-errors, but xdm still seems
to work okay, and you can log back in.

If you reboot, then it exits to a colourfull set of ascii characters,
and blocks
of coloured in rectangles, (as if its still trying to display the splash
screen) and reboots
normally.

It doesn't seem to matter if xdm is started from /etc/ttys or
/etc/rc.local

If the splash screen IS cleared before xdm starts, then there is no
problem...

Last make update, make world & kernel: Fri, Jan. 15.