Date:      18 Nov 1998 17:17:16 +0100
From:      Christoph Haas <ch@adimus.de>
To:        "Lyndon Griffin" <lgriffin@naviant.com>
Cc:        "Alfred Perlstein" <bright@hotjobs.com>, "Paolo Di Francesco" <paipai@tin.it>, <freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sparc board, and clones

"Lyndon Griffin" <lgriffin@naviant.com> writes:

> so my contribution to a project that is only UltraSPARC
> is going to be nil.

Same for me.

> I don't think it is wrong to include Ultras in the port, but I believe it is
> stupidity to disclude earlier SPARCs.

Yes, I second that. And I think we'll shoot ourselves in the foot if
we go on thinking that money for Ultras to develop on grows on
trees. Show me those freaks and developers that have enough money to
buy a box just to hack code on it, whereas SS4 or SS5 get cheaper
every day. I mean it is nice if you have a box to work on at home or
at work, but it will take longer for the port to become reality if
only those few people will work on it. I can't afford to buy a new
board just to play with some code. I have my old SS4, it works for me
and if you don't want to port to "plain-old-Sparc" - leave it. As
someone said, there are alternatives.

	Christoph