Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 06:56:55 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@grumpy.dyndns.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATAPI CD-RW drive: how?

Terry Lambert writes:
> > Must say I'm terribly pleased with burncd. Used cdrecord in the past on
> > SCSI CD-R's, under FreeBSD and Irix, and can't say I loved the way it
> > locked up the system for 5 or 10 seconds when starting.
> >
> > I'm wondering about burncd for SCSI CD-R/RW's...
>
> I think the lockup is starting up team and dd at rtprio 5 to
> keep the CDROM writer streaming, regardless of whatever else
> is running on the system.

The lockup I was refering to was with cdrecord under Irix and FreeBSD,
without any external rtprio or dd or team or nothing. Cdrecord has to
run as root to access the kernel priority mechanism. And at least in
versions around 1.6 when the cdrecord starts on the recorder it locks
out everything (think under Irix 6.3 the mouse pointer would even stop,
but the network would still ping) at the start of the burn procedure.

I have never found a need for team. Burned over 100 CD-R's at 4x on an
overloaded SCSI P-133 w/24MB with X, Netscape, and exmh2 open. Back in
the days of FreeBSD 2.2.8. Often burned one on the Yamaha CDR-100 on
SCSI while verifying the previous with the built-in Gateway CDROM. And
often was reading data from 8mm and/or 4mm at the same time for the next
CD-R.

The only coasters I made had obvious optical defects from dust or
scratches. Learned to look for dust before burning.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net