Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 1999 11:07:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        antuan@eltex.ru
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: none

In article <Pine.BSF.3.96.990409155929.11966B-100000@tyger.hq.eltex.ru>,
Antuan Avdioukhine  <antuan@eltex.ru> wrote:

>    Can anyone guide me how to organize environment for building kernels
> for mixed FreeBSD version on single machine? I'd tried to do such thing on
> 3.0-RELEASE machine for 2.2.6 version, but it failed.

On a 3.1-stable machine here, I regularly build both worlds and
kernels for 2.2.8 machines.  Here are the tricks:

Assuming that "$SRC" is the top-level "src" directory of your 2.2.x
source tree ...

1. Use "make -m $SRC/share/mk" so that make uses the 2.2.x versions
of the *.mk files.

2. When configuring kernels, use the 2.2.x version of /sbin/config
that you've built.  (Find it in the obj tree.)

John
  "Self-interest is the aphrodisiac of belief."           -- James V. DeLong