Date:      Tue, 25 Aug 1998 13:58:19 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        dakott@alpha.delta.edu
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 1542i Performance on -stable [was Re: SCSI Controller]

> I did have some strange kernel panics when I installed my hardrive
> in front of the CDROM that previously had occupied the bus alone.
> The drive would log timeout errors.  Then, as now, my root
> partition/swap et. al was on this drive, the kernel would panic.
> Also, sporadically, the drive would load the kernel sucessfully for
> booting, but would just hang when the kernel attempted to mount the
> root partition.  I configured the hardrive to supply the bus
> termination, instead of the CDROM, as well as recompiling my kernel
> sans the "TUNE_1542" option, and I haven't had a problem since.

Many 1542s (particularly the B series) were very sensitive to poor
cabling and termination problems.

I also made a hack a while back (Jun 97) to allow one to manually (in
the kernel config) configure the speed that TUNE_1542 will use
("TUNE_1542=200" etc).  This was because in cold weather, on a cold
boot (literally), the probe would try to run my 1542 at 150ns, which
would reliably hang.  After it warmed up a little bit, or after winter
passed, it ran at 200ns every time.

I posted the patch to -hackers, but didn't get a response.  Does
anybody have a use for me to add it back in?  (I probably will do so
anyway next winter.)

Best,
joelh

--