Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 1997 12:58:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Sergey Solyanik <solik@atom.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sun binaries

On Sun, 21 Dec 1997, Sergey Solyanik wrote:

> I'm in curiuos - can I run Sun/i386 (if they exist in nature - I've met
> only with sparc) ?

Yes Virginia, there is a Solaris/x86.  Avoid it like the plague ;-)

> I know about SCO binaries. I've sucessfully run Oracle for a year...
> And now, I want to run IBM's DB/2.

If you already have FreeBSD, go ahead and give it a try, I doubt that
they will run though. It's my understanding that Sun uses ELF binaries,
and while Sparc binaries won't run at all, one could probably hack
together a little Sun emulator using bits and pieces of the Linux
emulator.  Not that OS/2 isn't a worthwhile choice either.

> And I know rumours, that OpenBSD can run Sun/i386 binaries...

Perhaps you mean OpenBSD/Sparc can run Sun/Sparc binaries?

- alex